- What information do we collect, and how?
- What will the information be used for?
- Who will we share it with?
- Using your online account
- Preventing and detecting fraud
- Credit and other searches
- Motor Insurance Database
- Dealing with other people
- Automatic renewals
- Third party links
- Errors and omissionss
- Further information
AXA Insurance UK plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Our registered number is 202312.
Our registered address is 5 Old Broad Street, London EC2N 1AD. Registered in England and Wales number 78950.
Any personal information you supply to AXA Insurance UK plc will be treated in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and other legislation intended to protect your personal information and privacy.
This website has links to the websites of other companies within the AXA Group. Each AXA Group company’s website will contain similar details to those set out below, but which may be more specific to their business and we recommend that you check these if you visit their websites.
AXA Insurance sends cookies to your computer from the Website. Cookies are pieces of information that a website transfers to your computer's hard disc for record keeping purposes. Cookies can make the Internet more useful to you because they contain information about your preferences on particular websites, which allows website owners to provide more useful features for their users. For more information on Cookies please visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org/.
Should you wish to refuse to accept cookies or restrict the data that we collect through our tracking software, you can alter your cookies setting in your browser. However, if you choose to alter your cookies setting in your browser you may be unable to access parts of the Website.
What information do we collect, and how?
The personal information AXA Insurance collects through your interaction with us or third parties in connection with a service or product offered may include details such as your name, email address, postal address, telephone number, date of birth, bank/credit card details, health information and IP address.
Personal information is collected by AXA Insurance:
- via enquiry, registration, claim forms, feedback forms and forums;
- when you purchase any of our products or services;
- when you fill out a survey, or vote in a poll on our website;
- through quotes and applications;
- through feedback forms and web analytics tags;
- when you provide your details to us either online or offline; and
- via third parties.
We will do our best to ensure that information is kept up to date and accurate. Please assist us in this by advising us of any changes as soon as possible.
What will the information be used for?
The personal information AXA Insurance collects will be used for analytical purposes, managing and administering products and services that we supply, claims handling, No Claim Discount entitlement, making credit-related decisions about you and to assist us in improving our website, processes, products and services.
We will also use information collected to safe-guard against fraud and money laundering. We are required to report details of some suspicious activities to the Serious Organised Crime Agency (SOCA).
The information you supply may be used by us, other members of the AXA Group and carefully selected third parties for research purposes or to inform you of other products or services that may be of interest to you, unless you have advised us otherwise. On each occasion that we contact you for these purposes, you will always be given the option to opt out of any further communication.
Please note that we have the ability to retain any data that you provide on this website, even if you do not complete your quote by clicking submit/next. Such contact details and data may be used to contact you to enquire why you did not complete your quote. If you have any questions about this, please contact us.
If you have provided your contact information to us and would prefer not to receive marketing information, or to participate in research, simply contact us to let us know.
Who will we share it with?
We do not disclose your information to anyone outside the AXA Group except:
- where we have your permission; or
- where we are required or permitted to do so by law or by regulatory bodies; or
- to other companies who provide a service to us or you (which includes proof of No Claims Discount (NCD) entitlement), including when you take out additional products with us or make a claim; or
- where it is necessary for the performance of an agreement we have with you; or
- for credit reference or fraud prevention purposes; or
- for reinsurance purposes; or
- where we may transfer rights and obligations under this agreement.
Disclosure of your information to a third party outside of the AXA Group will only be made where the third party has agreed to keep your information strictly confidential and use it only for the specific purpose for which we provide it to them.
We may transfer your information to other countries including those located outside the European Economic Area. If we do this we will seek to ensure that anyone to whom we pass it provides an adequate level of protection.
AXA Insurance does not sell customer data to third parties. We also do not permit the selling of customer data by any companies who provide a service to us.
AXA DriveSafe app
Following the purchase of your private car insurance policy, we will offer you the opportunity to use a free smartphone telematics application to assess your driving. If you download and use the app, technical information relating to driving performance is stored and analysed by AXA and its third party service provider, MyDrive Solutions Limited (UK). This data will be used by AXA to calculate your driving score and provide other performance information, where you make a claim and in the investigation of insurance fraud.
Full terms and conditions regarding use of the app are provided within the app.
Using your online account
When you set up your first policy with AXA, you need to set up an online account (My AXA Account). In My AXA Account, you can:
- view and print all your policy information and documents;
- securely make changes to your policy yourself whenever you want.
To set up and use My AXA Account, you'll need:
- your email address, which you give us when you buy your policy;
- a memorable password which you can choose; and
- to answer an additional security question when you first set up your account.
By using the same email address when buying additional AXA policies, your new documents will be stored to your existing online account. You can then view all your details in the same AXA Account. If you prefer your new policy to be saved in a different online account, you will need to use a different email address.
We recommend that you do not share your account details with anyone. If you do give your email address and password to another person, they will have all your privileges, and will be able to view or change your cover or details. In these instances you will be responsible for their actions, and AXA cannot accept any responsibility for any adjustment made without your authority.
Because circumstances can change, you should review your access details regularly to make sure they are still appropriate for you and anyone you have given permission to access your account.
To setup up a separate account for one or more of your existing policies, please contact our help team.
If we’re contacted by phone we won’t discuss the policy with anybody other than the policyholder unless we already have their explicit consent. See Dealing with other people below.
Preventing and detecting fraud
To help keep premiums low we do participate in a number of industry initiatives to prevent and detect fraud. To help prevent crime we may at any time:
- approach the DVLA to check all or any relevant driving licence details of anyone named on the policy;
- share information about you with other organisations and public bodies including the police;
- share information about you and any other named persons on the policy within the AXA Group and with other insurers;
- pass the details you have supplied to recognised centralised insurance industry applications, policy and claims checking systems (for example, the Motor Insurance Anti-Fraud and Theft Register, CUE, CIFAS and all DVLA databases) where those details will be checked and updated;
- load your details and any information or documents you provide us to the Insurance Fraud Register. This may affect future applications for insurance products.
- check the details you have supplied with fraud prevention agencies and databases including publicly available data (for example on County Court Judgements, bankruptcy information and electoral role data). If false or inaccurate information is provided and fraud is identified, details will be passed to fraud prevention agencies to prevent fraud and money laundering;
- periodically search records held by fraud prevention and credit reference agencies
- help make decisions about credit services for your and your financial associates;
- help make decisions on insurance policies and claims for you and your financial associates;
- trace people who owe money, recover debt, prevent fraud and to manage your insurance policies;
- check your identity to prevent money laundering;
- carry out credit searches, electoral roll searches and further fraud searches.
For more information about the agencies with which we share your data, including further details explaining how the information held by fraud prevention agencies may be used, please email us at email@example.com.
Credit and other searches
We make searches about you at credit reference agencies who will supply us with information, including information from the Electoral Register and credit information. The agencies may record details of the search whether or not this application proceeds.
We may use scoring methods to assess this application, to verify your identity and determine finance charges. Searches and other information which is provided to us and/or the credit reference agencies, about you and those with whom you are linked financially may be used by us if you, or other members of your household, apply for other facilities including insurance applications and claims. This information may also be used for debt tracing and the prevention of money laundering as well as the management of your account.
We may share the personal data of any persons named on the policy with third parties to obtain information which may be used by AXA to inform its risk selection, pricing and underwriting decisions.
Motor Insurance Database
When you take out a car insurance policy, your policy details will be added to the Motor Insurance Database ("MID"), run by the Motor Insurers' Information Centre ("MIIC"). MID data may be used by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency and the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Northern Ireland for the purpose of electronic vehicle licensing and by the police for the purposes of establishing whether a driver's use of a vehicle is likely to be covered by a motor insurance policy and for preventing and detecting crime. If you are involved in an accident, whether in the UK or abroad, other UK insurers, the Motor Insurers' Bureau and MIIC may search the MID to obtain relevant policy information.
Persons pursuing a claim in respect of a road traffic accident (including citizens of other EU countries) may be entitled to access relevant information held about you on the MID. You can find out more about this from us, or from the Motor Insurance Bureau.
You must have the consent of any named person on the policy to pass on their information (including any sensitive personal information such as criminal convictions or medical information) to us.
We do not intentionally collect any information from children under 16 years of age, and unless the information was collected in connection with a policy claim, shall delete the details when a parent or guardian notifies us that details have been obtained from their child.
Dealing with other people
Data protection rules mean that we are only allowed to talk to the policyholder about anything to do with their insurance – unless they have named an alternative contact (such as a relative) to speak with us on their behalf.
- How to name an alternative contact:
- If you took out or renewed your insurance after 24 June 2014, you can log in to your online account and add an alternative contact to your policy yourself. If your policy was set up before then, please contact our help team to name an alternative contact.
Once you have told us your alternative contact, this person will be able to discuss all aspects of your policy (including claims) with us and make changes on your behalf except to cancel your policy or decline a renewal.
In some exceptional circumstances we may also deal with other people who contact us on behalf of the policyholder.
We will not reveal any credit or debit card numbers to anyone other than the policyholder.
Most AXA Insurance customers benefit from the convenience of our automatic renewal service. Around 25 days before your renewal date we’ll email you your renewal invitation, which will also be stored in your AXA Account online for you to view or amend. If the cover’s right for you for another year, you don’t need to do anything. It’s the hassle-free way of keeping great value insurance with AXA. If you do not want to renew, just contact us before your policy expiry date.
How does it work?
We securely retain your payment details and if you don’t contact us we will renew your policy automatically for you.
Does everyone qualify for this service?
Although most customers can benefit, not all policies can be automatically renewed - single trip travel insurance for instance. If you are unsure whether you qualify, you can contact us.
Third party links
Errors and omissions
If you belive that there may be an error in any of the information that you have submitted, please contact us and we will review and correct any inaccurate information in your records as soon as possible.
You should be aware that any telephone calls made to us may be recorded for monitoring and training purposes and to assist us in preventing and detecting fraud. Therefore, your use of this means of communication means that you accept and consent to this.
Under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998, you are entitled to request a copy of the personal data AXA Insurance holds about you. To do this, please contact us with full details of what you require by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing to the Data Protection Manager, Civic Drive, Ipswich, IP1 2AN. A cheque or postal order for £10 payable to AXA Insurance will be required.